Will Self questions the rituals of our digital life (by englishnationalopera)
Yes, Will Self really does speak using the same vocabulary that he uses in print, and with the same sentence structure. Astonishing. As is the fact that he says this, a good few weeks before Weinergate:
“Social media represent the sexual arm of the internet. They are replete with an idea that is implicit in romanticism and romantic thinking, which is that there are a myriad of possible encounters out there, of which one is optimal: one is mandated for all space and all time. And in a way the social media plays to people’s yearnings on a very strong level, and it animates them to continually re-engage with it on a rather licentious promise but with a rather romantic payoff. And I think that’s why it has such an insidious and overpowering impact, particularly on young people’s minds.”
I like his wondering if the way we ‘upload our aspirations’ on the web isn’t like religion.
- apolloniusofperga reblogged this from felixsalmon
- anime-hentai likes this
- driverupdate-dk reblogged this from felixsalmon
- diabetes-a1c reblogged this from felixsalmon
- spiritualpsychicmedium reblogged this from felixsalmon
- konverter-3gp likes this
- diabetes-a1c likes this
- loadawill likes this
- filtry-do-wody likes this
- mt4-expert-advisor likes this
- last--minute likes this
- thewoodchipper reblogged this from felixsalmon
- poetbabble likes this
- noosphere likes this
- itsnotokokcupid likes this
- gravity7 reblogged this from stoweboyd and added:
- itsbdell reblogged this from felixsalmon
- felixsalmon posted this
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. more.
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.