Academic culture is a huge and diverse ecosystem. People who come along with grand plans about how everything is going to be transformed so often don’t have even a very shallow understanding of how that ecosystem works: You have all these Silicon Valley venture capitalists who are going to blow everything up and transform it; what you’re really talking about doing is killing all the green plants in the ecosystem and then expecting the deer to have something to eat; no; the deer are going to die. There’s this basic economic argument for the cheapness of online education that is always about requiring less labor; paying people less, replacing people with technology. And at the end of the day, what you’re going to have is a very stagnant intellectual culture.
Who writes the textbooks? Who writes the lectures? You tape the [MOOC] lecture once, but then what happens next year? You just keep recycling the same materials over and over again? It’s like a really bad ecological management system; you think you can remove something that is really crucial to the ecosystem, and nothing else will change?
Aaron Bady, cited by Maria Bustillos in Venture Capital’s Massive, Terrible Idea For The Future Of College
- climatechangebunch likes this
- twenty-seventhandlanding likes this
- whatiscollegefor reblogged this from emergentfutures
- scotterenaissance likes this
- shulgaalexey likes this
- anabrave likes this
- chainit likes this
- thomasferrill reblogged this from emergentfutures
- jacquigrams likes this
- rockyourcortex likes this
- mellyderp likes this
- boabjohn likes this
- cracklepopsnap likes this
- yongdol73 likes this
- iscratchpaper likes this
- bearjo14 likes this
- global-culture likes this
- lauriefait likes this
- dae31 reblogged this from rafaelfajardo
- dae31 likes this
- kelleehill reblogged this from emergentfutures
- tomasglobal reblogged this from emergentfutures
- disturbthesound likes this
- kryptmarly2q likes this
- bungy32 reblogged this from emergentfutures
- bungy32 likes this
- yungbuffalochris likes this
- sunnysuarezevans likes this
- g1rlwh01sh0t likes this
- allthingssustainablyconsidered reblogged this from emergentfutures
- egodownsoulup likes this
- jjdxb likes this
- kimminsdesign likes this
- leftoversigils likes this
- ricetopher likes this
- ang3l-fr0m-y0ur-nightmar3 reblogged this from emergentfutures
- stoicmeditations likes this
- rafaelfajardo reblogged this from emergentfutures
- giantsapple-macking likes this
- hgyd2 reblogged this from emergentfutures
- intricatelysimple likes this
- notentirely likes this
- kataphrakt likes this
- busdi78 likes this
- kkoktu likes this
- emergentfutures reblogged this from stoweboyd
- bseverns reblogged this from stoweboyd
- dszuc reblogged this from stoweboyd
- blogishthing reblogged this from stoweboyd
- metinerium reblogged this from stoweboyd
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. more.
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.
Once Yahoo! forces integration of Tumblr and Yahoo! logins I’ll deactivate.
“So here is what works. Retweet the hater’s tweet, appending the phrase “I love your passion,” or some variation. This may seem counterintuitive....”