Paris is known as the City Of Light principally because of the gas lights of the 1800’s, but it may be time to turn the lights off, at least late at night.
Andrew Price, Will The City Of Light Go Dark To Save Energy?
A proposal from Delphine Batho, head of the Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development, and Energy, would require stores, offices, and public buildings across the country to turn off the lights between 1 a.m. and 7 a.m. The point of the policy, according to Batho, is not only to save energy and money but also “to change the culture” in a time of economic crisis, making people aware of the importance of using energy resources efficiently.
If the new policy is approved by Parliament, it will take effect in June, with certain exceptions for hospitals, police stations, and other critical operations. Indeed, the target of the policy seems to be shops that keep their lights on all night long. Or at least that’s what some proprietors seem to think. France’s Commerce Council has made statements opposing the idea, claiming that it will turn off tourists and hurt business. Predictably, the light bulb and lighting systems industries have also objected.
The savings could be considerable — $261 million per year — but the biggest impact could be the cascade out to other cities and towns that might follow Paris’ lead.
- arianalicia reblogged this from stoweboyd
- arianalicia likes this
- greenupearth reblogged this from studio630 and added:
- thephotoart likes this
- green-thought reblogged this from studio630
- joylenesmith likes this
- nadinery reblogged this from studio630
- hearthelights reblogged this from stoweboyd
- remumbler reblogged this from stoweboyd
- fudgytroll reblogged this from stoweboyd and added:
- fudgytroll likes this
- thefsrs likes this
- honorthytailor likes this
- dammnngirll reblogged this from stoweboyd
- jo-louis likes this
- processmydesign reblogged this from studio630
- purplepeopleeatter reblogged this from stoweboyd
- purplepeopleeatter likes this
- hawstyn likes this
- sunshine0111 likes this
- tomasglobal reblogged this from stoweboyd
- dipstraughtnia likes this
- darkdaysdarkernights likes this
- terosa1294 likes this
- emerfahy44 likes this
- anggraneni likes this
- tart-pastry likes this
- lilinstar1o1 likes this
- atsoukalidis likes this
- stoweboyd reblogged this from studio630 and added:
- metropond reblogged this from studio630
- myimaginationisrunningriot likes this
- studio630 posted this
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. more.
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.