Although the belief in a better future is often an illusion, optimism has clear benefits in the present. Hope keeps our minds at ease, lowers stress, and improves physical health. This is probably the most surprising benefit of optimism. All else being equal, optimists are healthier and live longer. It is not just that healthy people are more optimistic, but optimism can enhance health. Expecting our future to be good reduces stress and anxiety, which is good for our health. Researchers studying heart attack patients have found that optimists were more likely than nonoptimistic patients to take vitamins, eat low-fat diets, and exercise, thereby reducing their overall coronary risk. A study of cancer patients revealed that pessimistic patients under the age of 60 were more likely to die within eight months than nonpessimistic patients of the same initial health, status, and age.
Tali Sharot in The Science Of Optimism, cited by Maria Popova in Brain Pickings
I also believe that optimists have better sex. Just saying.
- carsports likes this
- jbeck4431 reblogged this from stoweboyd
- levihadley likes this
- pollywolf likes this
- lights-in-the-sky reblogged this from stoweboyd
- mostfuckedupbitchonearth reblogged this from stoweboyd
- thatbritishgirlwiththedresses reblogged this from stoweboyd
- avoidedisland likes this
- workshopcookbook likes this
- teamwelsh5 reblogged this from wildcat2030
- ajilivizion reblogged this from stoweboyd
- nevereverfacethedark likes this
- niraxxx reblogged this from wildcat2030
- cestrien reblogged this from wildcat2030
- londonbeauty likes this
- wearelikesnowflakes likes this
- skippinpuppy likes this
- dionnerobertson123 reblogged this from stoweboyd
- survivingtherenaissance likes this
- urmonotheismus likes this
- mygrowtallerjourney likes this
- cab1729 reblogged this from stoweboyd
- 257349 likes this
- achildofsundays likes this
- achildofsundays reblogged this from wildcat2030
- sarahabuallail likes this
- keithridesbikes reblogged this from stoweboyd
- jerriann reblogged this from underpaidgenius
- okorogariist likes this
- vanillabuds reblogged this from wildcat2030
- tolearnhigher likes this
- idontneedpeopleihavecats likes this
- brachiocephalic reblogged this from wildcat2030
- weareallfuckingawesome likes this
- bahaderali likes this
- wildcat2030 reblogged this from underpaidgenius
- davidaedwards reblogged this from stoweboyd
- underpaidgenius reblogged this from stoweboyd
- paws-style-mag likes this
- sum1 likes this
- sethteeters likes this
- chacopen55 likes this
- stoweboyd posted this
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. more.
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.