In many ways, algorithms remain outside our grasp, and they are designed to be. This is not to say that we should not aspire to illuminate their workings and impact. We should. But we may also need to prepare ourselves for more and more encounters with the unexpected and ineffable associations they will sometimes draw for us, the fundamental uncertainty about who we are speaking to or hearing, and the palpable but opaque undercurrents that move quietly beneath knowledge when it is managed by algorithms.
An accommodation with and accounting for “fundamental uncertainty” is one of the core qualities of the new literacy.
- vanderwal likes this
- dackdel likes this
- mendelpalace likes this
- thehexagonwatches likes this
- butchkassidy reblogged this from new-aesthetic
- ponderingcomplexity likes this
- rachaelhodder likes this
- stoweboyd reblogged this from gordonr
- sameerpadania likes this
- iscarlets reblogged this from new-aesthetic
- gordonr reblogged this from new-aesthetic
- tararjaggers likes this
- pixelives reblogged this from new-aesthetic
- etperseetsee likes this
- noise-2-signal likes this
- brentdkim likes this
- xtinalatina reblogged this from new-aesthetic
- amy751 reblogged this from new-aesthetic
- boabjohn likes this
- pfbot likes this
- preoccupations reblogged this from new-aesthetic
- artlung reblogged this from new-aesthetic
- artlung likes this
- fragmince likes this
- hyoomen likes this
- xvcvx reblogged this from new-aesthetic
- brockenspectre likes this
- adapar likes this
- fal-parsi likes this
- jhmapleybrittle likes this
- davidaedwards reblogged this from new-aesthetic
- mesmeon likes this
- pinkoscum likes this
- compelled likes this
- shakylegs likes this
- youhearthat likes this
- internetcouch likes this
- new-aesthetic posted this
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. (More.)
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.
“The tendency to live in the here and now, and the failure to think through the delayed consequences of behavior, is one of the strongest...”
Mobile apps loosely joined
There are a slew of applications that are better because they use the Foursquare api and location database.