We encountered the term “theory of mind” in passing in the previous chapter in relation to apes. Now let me explain it more fully. It is a technical term that is widely used in the cognitive sciences, from philosophy to primatology to clinical psychology. It refers to your ability to attribute intelligent mental beingness to other people: to understand that your fellow humans behave the way they do because (you assume) they have thoughts, emotions, ideas, and motivations of more or less the same kind as you yourself possess. In other words, even though you cannot actually feel what it is like to be another individual, you use your theory of mind to automatically project intentions, perceptions, and beliefs into the minds of others. In so doing you are able to infer their feelings and intentions and to predict and influence their behavior. Calling it a theory can be a little misleading, since the word “theory” is normally used to refer to an intellectual system of statements and predictions, rather than in this sense, where it refers to an innate, intuitive mental faculty.
Ramachandran, V.S. The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist’s Quest for What Makes Us Human. New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2011. (via carvalhais)
I have a relatively advanced plot for a scifi book called ‘Theory Of Mind’. I hope to write it in 2013.
- projectpeace reblogged this from hellsangels-
- deaf-songbird reblogged this from wildcat2030
- 3ellen likes this
- unity-amongst-the-universe likes this
- demonikangel1037 reblogged this from wildcat2030
- demonikangel1037 likes this
- sonicconscience likes this
- herguanuni reblogged this from visualturn
- christinechow likes this
- castylist reblogged this from visualturn
- castylist likes this
- mantolamadiscephem likes this
- futurecadaver likes this
- visualturn reblogged this from inwrdbound
- bruvu likes this
- indelibly-nostalgic reblogged this from stoweboyd
- jesslaflex likes this
- bounioq reblogged this from stoweboyd
- milenashakujo likes this
- wolfsiren likes this
- myownknifeparty likes this
- donovanwerts likes this
- lloyd2nd likes this
- fionaelle reblogged this from commondense
- inwrdbound reblogged this from wildcat2030
- inwrdbound likes this
- peachypreach reblogged this from commondense
- thickbrows likes this
- dnsralugerri-mirrorhere reblogged this from stoweboyd
- magandayaya reblogged this from stoweboyd
- stoweboyd reblogged this from wildcat2030
- drdrewlphd likes this
- bubbaandbubbalicious reblogged this from commondense
- bennyhoneybee reblogged this from wildcat2030
- hellsangels- reblogged this from 404linknotfound
- empress-lord-of-bs reblogged this from wildcat2030
- thisisamutiny likes this
- richardarkenstone likes this
- musedweller likes this
- fionaelle likes this
- existentialbliss likes this
- cougarchild likes this
- gahvee likes this
- stay-traught-i-have likes this
- automatic-bushka reblogged this from wildcat2030
- kurma-rh reblogged this from wildcat2030
- livelovelifeme likes this
- eparis likes this
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. more.
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.