The single most important thing for an individual to do is to recognize that society is not made up of individuals but of groups, some tight and some loose. Democracies are not markets, divided into atomized and rational actors. Democracies are coalitional, and the big thing we lose with the continuing shrinking of the importance of newspapers is having a place where news junkies and sports fans both occasionally see the same front page.
This is an important aspect on human society, but how does it relate to the observations from the discussions around the wisdom of crowds?
Actually, Shirky is conflating some things here. We should parse our how people connect through social networks and how ‘democracies’ work. I am going to have to read the whole thing and get back to you.
Source: The Atlantic
- kdnewman likes this
- readinglist32 reblogged this from trebaolofarabia
- trebaolofarabia reblogged this from readinglist32
- iszwald likes this
- readinglist32 likes this
- futurist-foresight likes this
- futuresagency reblogged this from stoweboyd
- dauerdicht likes this
- traffic-clippings likes this
- matthewsolari likes this
- realmsofgold likes this
- cynful-spyres reblogged this from stoweboyd
- viciousneutral likes this
- grinningmango reblogged this from stoweboyd
- sasquatchmedia reblogged this from infoneer-pulse
- sasquatchmedia likes this
- sunshinecity10 reblogged this from stoweboyd
- pillowthots likes this
- simplynickmarini likes this
- crazygm reblogged this from stoweboyd
- davidaedwards reblogged this from stoweboyd
- stoweboyd reblogged this from futuramb
- lgband12 likes this
- c-biscuits reblogged this from futuramb
- little-bigthings likes this
- stephanustheo reblogged this from infoneer-pulse
- smatteredtidbits likes this
- mathisbj944 reblogged this from futuramb
- thegrooveken likes this
- futuramb reblogged this from infoneer-pulse
- degausser23 likes this
- c-ptn likes this
- williac likes this
- esquared likes this
- evolutia likes this
- anitaderouen likes this
- infoneer-pulse posted this
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. more.
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.