Following Facebook’s IPO we declared a bubble burst and now we’re seeing that hit the start-up ecosystem as investor money becomes harder to find. ”The frothy bubble is over,” an analyst told The Wall Street Journal’s Pui Wing Tam and Amir Efrati. And that defrothing has happened in large part because of Facebook’s performance over the last three months. It’s not just the social network’s stock that has failed to boom in the months following its public offering, fledgling tech companies are now having a hard time raising money, as a result. Rather than just fork over the bucks to an up-and-coming app, investors have a new found curiosity in potential profitability and revenue. See: investors want to put money into companies that will bring mega riches. Before, users were enough to feed those fantasies. But Facebook’s wimpy stock has since crushed that dream, making it harder for these other social media start-ups to convince investors to buy in.
Read more. [Image: Reuters]
The growth bubble has popped for tech, too, not just in finance and housing.
- insomniatakesover likes this
- excessivetalk reblogged this from theatlantic
- imall4frogs likes this
- thisisjamesj reblogged this from theatlantic
- hargrovescouch reblogged this from theatlantic and added:
- imacwalker reblogged this from theatlantic
- scarjoling likes this
- wilhelmkant reblogged this from theatlantic
- prospitsprofitableprophet reblogged this from theatlantic and added:
- melaniestones likes this
- igravitatetoyou likes this
- wunderrbar reblogged this from theatlantic
- dnophsif reblogged this from stoweboyd and added:
- secondverse reblogged this from theatlantic and added:
- tylerschilling likes this
- toiling reblogged this from theatlantic
- techerous reblogged this from stoweboyd and added:
- theredshoes reblogged this from theatlantic and added:
- theredshoes likes this
- case-custom reblogged this from theatlantic
- benedictarnolds likes this
- ryokan likes this
- richberta likes this
- twominutespastfive likes this
- koosnya likes this
- kylewpppd likes this
- ayaaai reblogged this from theatlantic
- future-feature likes this
- m-x likes this
- butchrosser likes this
- museeum reblogged this from krisgetzman
- nakeva likes this
- amexopenforum reblogged this from theatlantic and added:
- ahandsomestark reblogged this from theatlantic
- dragoni likes this
- krisgetzman reblogged this from stoweboyd
- ickychick likes this
- just-focus-now likes this
- thepete reblogged this from stoweboyd and added:
- shabrip likes this
- taylorgotbeats likes this
- safapress likes this
- changan likes this
- dlwillis11 likes this
- christhilk reblogged this from theatlantic
- vigneshram likes this
- tobiasandresrevolution likes this
- maudlinsmile reblogged this from theatlantic
- eveliilen likes this
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. more.
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.
The Mother Warns the Tornado
I know I’ve already had more than I deserve.
These lungs that rise and fall without effort,
the husband who sets free...
Once Yahoo! forces integration of Tumblr and Yahoo! logins I’ll deactivate.