Silicon Valley isn’t known for diversity, so it’s perhaps not terrifically surprising to find that many of its newest, most hyped products, such as App.net, Medium, and Svbtle, are also populated at the early adopter phase by a high proportion of white men. And yes, that is exactly what the numbers, just run by Buzzfeed FWD, have found: and they are even starker than you’d probably imagine.
One of the many reasons I no longer call San Francisco my base of operations is the lack of diversity. It’s not so much the whiteness, as the lack of cross connections across social scenes. In NYC, and other, more diverse cities, you’ll attend a party and meet artists, journalism professors, folks from the financial sector, musicians, historians, fashionistas, foodies, and theater people. In SF? Tech, tech, tech, PR, tech, tech, PR, media, tech, tech, tech…
- If You’ve Really Run Out of White Dudes, Check These Sites (betabeat.com)
- vonlinebarbershop likes this
- worthingtonwire likes this
- neurologytheater likes this
- futurist-foresight likes this
- toddwickersty likes this
- stoweboyd reblogged this from thisistheverge and added:
- alienanthropologist reblogged this from thisistheverge and added:
- prosperitytech reblogged this from thisistheverge
- bbbrad likes this
- ahandsomestark reblogged this from thisistheverge
- lyster likes this
- jhermann likes this
- This was featured in #Tech
- thisistheverge posted this
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. (More.)
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.
“The tendency to live in the here and now, and the failure to think through the delayed consequences of behavior, is one of the strongest...”
Mobile apps loosely joined
There are a slew of applications that are better because they use the Foursquare api and location database.