The Tata AirPod is a city car running on compressed air (as well as a battery-powered electric motor). The ease of converting air into an energy source using simple compressors means charging stations can be placed anywhere, and they require no provisioning — no trucks delivering gas, ethanol, or hydrogen — and they produce no emissions, just discharge of the air.
The AirPod can run 125mi (200k) at a top speed between 28 to 43mph (45 to 70kph). The car is intended for a single rider, and has a small cargo area in the back.
This is breakthrough design: it undercuts most of the negatives of the system it is designed to replace. And unlike other alternatives to traditional cars, it does not require an entire supply chain to exist before becoming practical in a single location. A city like New York could roll out a citywide fleet of AirPods Just like it is rolling out a bike sharing program (although the city’s bike share program has been delayed). It doesn’t need to build nuclear reactors, or deal with some hard-to-transport alternative fuel. In fact, New York City could simply repurpose existing gas stations or parking lots with compressors, and card readers.
Totally awesome. Here’s the future. There Just need to make them stackable, like this:
- Tata commercializing an air-powered car (reviews.cnet.com)
- Tata Brings Air Powered Car to India, Calls it AirPod (Video) (onlygizmos.com)
- Flat Tire! Mayor Bloomberg Says Citi Bike Share Program Will Not Launch Until Spring, Blames Software (observer.com)
- Are Air Cars Really An Option, Or The Next Alt-Fuel Joke? (greencarreports.com)
- doktorgun likes this
- foreverdreamsofnever likes this
- foreverdreamsofnever reblogged this from connerloveseveryone
- thexnotxsoxidenticaltwin likes this
- welkoozle reblogged this from squishylad
- born-under-the-moonlight reblogged this from findingmyowncenter
- findingmyowncenter reblogged this from glubglubmotherfuckers
- findingmyowncenter likes this
- glubglubmotherfuckers reblogged this from squishylad
- squishylad reblogged this from thevioletveil
- thevioletveil reblogged this from burningconviction
- bitcheslikebooks reblogged this from labelwh-re
- leduhar reblogged this from stoweboyd
- thewatchingangel likes this
- wastelander16 reblogged this from theuniversebeforeyou
- wastelander16 likes this
- theuniversebeforeyou reblogged this from inaburstoflight
- theuniversebeforeyou likes this
- the-di reblogged this from twistedsweets
- areyoucallingmyplan-darkcloud likes this
- twistedsweets reblogged this from inaburstoflight
- inaburstoflight reblogged this from izzymar
- tenaciouscatholic reblogged this from stoweboyd and added:
- shuubay reblogged this from stoweboyd
- aubreexmarie reblogged this from stoweboyd
- pilsookichallenge reblogged this from jungleb
- fuckyeahpuregold reblogged this from bluebookfairy
- zeerome reblogged this from pogonophiles
- iggymogo likes this
- mythirdblog reblogged this from stoweboyd
- semiluminous reblogged this from mauricesmall
- dreamssoreal likes this
- retrofires reblogged this from soulsuckingisaacnewton
- mellowcremegoggles likes this
- imnot-there likes this
- eternalpetrichor likes this
- soulsuckingisaacnewton reblogged this from addamatic
- addamatic reblogged this from mamitah
- hello-joyce likes this
- mamitah reblogged this from mauricesmall
- mamitah likes this
- mauricesmall reblogged this from toadiethebus
- teaandworlddomination likes this
- fuckyeahilike reblogged this from plurdledgabbleblotchits
- fuckyeahilike likes this
- rumorcontrol likes this
- kindagamey reblogged this from plurdledgabbleblotchits
- pogonophiles reblogged this from plurdledgabbleblotchits
- aubraelancita likes this
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. more.
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.
Once Yahoo! forces integration of Tumblr and Yahoo! logins I’ll deactivate.
“So here is what works. Retweet the hater’s tweet, appending the phrase “I love your passion,” or some variation. This may seem counterintuitive....”