Facebook’s Chief Privacy Officer, Erin Egan points out the risks for employers, stating that if access is requested to an employee’s Facebook account then the employer may “open themselves up to claims of discrimination if they don’t hire that person,” having seen if they are a member of a protected group, which could encompass age, sex, religion etc. Egan continues: “Employers also may not have the proper policies and training for reviewers to handle private information. If they don’t—and actually, even if they do–the employer may assume liability for the protection of the information they have seen or for knowing what responsibilities may arise based on different types of information (e.g. if the information suggests the commission of a crime).
Facebook May Take Legal Action Over Employer Password Requests - Matt Brian via thenextweb
So, employers or colleges that are demanding access to private information on Facebook (or other web sites) are entering a legal minefield, and we will have to wait for court case to see how that shakes out. Morally, however, it is unambiguous shoercion: coercing individuals to show private information.
- anime-hentai likes this
- vickienatale reblogged this from emergentfutures
- crystalgarcia17 likes this
- aligodding likes this
- brokenandcrumbling reblogged this from emergentfutures
- givepeaceachance97 reblogged this from emergentfutures
- moonhowler56 reblogged this from emergentfutures
- cindypiano reblogged this from emergentfutures
- iworkdumbledoreswanddaily likes this
- emergentfutures reblogged this from stoweboyd
- wemadebetter likes this
- metzcher likes this
- ahandsomestark reblogged this from thenextweb
- defuse00 likes this
- 1sife likes this
- contemptme reblogged this from thenextweb
- fontgoddess likes this
- seattleipguy reblogged this from marksbirch
- trimmerinsurancegroup reblogged this from insuremedia
- jamminjamon likes this
- srikard likes this
- insuremedia reblogged this from stoweboyd
- marksbirch reblogged this from thenextweb
- futurist-foresight likes this
- bobchik likes this
- seymourbuhts reblogged this from thenextweb
- seymourbuhts likes this
- digithoughts likes this
- This was featured in #Tech
- osvaldinoagues likes this
- blogishthing likes this
- stoweboyd reblogged this from thenextweb
- thecultureofme reblogged this from thenextweb
- wwwchriscam reblogged this from thenextweb
- amotay reblogged this from thenextweb
- fewsnews reblogged this from thenextweb
- agbyaj likes this
- thenextweb posted this
Web anthropologist, futurist, author. My focus is the future, and the tectonic forces pushing business, media, and society into an unclear and accelerating future. more.
Working on longer format projects, Sign up for the newsletter.
GigaOM Research analyst and curator.
Also writing beaconstreets.com.
Contact me. or ask me a question.
My Vizify profile.
Once Yahoo! forces integration of Tumblr and Yahoo! logins I’ll deactivate.
“So here is what works. Retweet the hater’s tweet, appending the phrase “I love your passion,” or some variation. This may seem counterintuitive....”